If I was a fruit, I would be a cranberry… tart, sweet, and an acquired taste. Haha!
Even before the chapter of my life when I lived in New England, I adored cranberries. There’s a special allure to their rich, jewel-toned beauty. They instantly elevate anything to which they are added. It’s time cranberries reclaim their royal status in the world of food. Supporting roles, no more. Let’s celebrate cranberries for the luxurious gems they truly are!
If you’re tired of the stereotypical cranberry sauce which ultimately gets ignored or undervalued (tragic, if I’m being honest!), then it’s time to take this as your perfect alternative.
Not only is this delicious jam a wonderful accoutrement to your holiday feasting spread, but it’s divine on a toasted slice of bread any day of the year, or in these darling cranberry holiday tarts. It also makes a charming gift alongside a loaf of homemade bread for your friends or relatives.
So, by all means, buy extra bags of cranberries this year! Freeze them, bake, them, jelly them, and celebrate them!
Sweet Cranberry Cider Jam
- 1 medium saucepan
- 12 ounces whole cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup spiced apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Add ingredients to a medium saucepan, stir to combine and dissolve sugar.
- Bring all the ingredients to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer for roughly 20 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- You'll know it is ready when all berries to burst. Then process with an immersion/stick blender for added smoothness.
- Press the jam mixture through a mesh strainer into a medium bowl. You can discard the solids into your compost or waste bin.
- Transfer jam to desired storage container. (Refer to recipe notes at the bottom if you want to preserve in jars for storage or gifting.)
- Cool to room temperature before covering and chilling. Use within 4 weeks.